I’ve been having a problem with my website. I had switched the type of my hosting service with Go Daddy, and after that switch the problem started. While the site was fast enough, my admin login was slow to the point of not even loading the page.
I got on the telephone with Go Daddy service support and they did a couple of things and then told me the server was just fine. They surmised that one or more of my plugins was causing the PHP files to load really slow.
The suggestion was to deactivate all of my plug-ins and delete the ones I was not using. Then to reactivate my plugins one at a time to make sure there was no problem. I tried deactivating my plugins, but the webpage was so slow that it kept timing out.
I found a support article on Go Daddy that suggested I rename the plug-ins folder so that WordPress wouldn’t know where the plugins were located. I named it plugins_test.
This certainly allowed WordPress to load quickly and I was able to navigate within the admin section, but I got an error because WordPress couldn’t find the plugin folder. Once I renamed the plugin_test folder to plugins, everything was back to its normal speed. I deactivated all my plugins, then activated those I thought essential, and deleted the rest.
The biggest problem was solved when I renamed the plugins folder to allow WordPress to run unfettered.