Line Voltage Requirements for iPad and iPhone – Charge Internationally

by Gregory on May 26, 2011

I live in the USA and was planning a trip to Dublin, Ireland so I thought it prudent to check if my MacBook Pro, iPad 2 and iPhone 4 would need any special electrical connections. I quickly found the power supply in Ireland to be 230V and 50Hz, which is far different than the 120V and 60Hz used in the USA.

Since I spent some time in the UK a few years ago I already had a plug adapter, which is simply a three-pronged male connector that goes into the wall socket and has female sockets on the other side that fit any USA electrical plug configuration. There is no power conversion going on here.

Plug Adapter Web

I checked the Apple website and quickly found the MacBook Pro tech specs, which clearly show the electrical requirement for Line Voltage: 100V to 240V AC and Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz. This means that I have no worries because the MacBook Pro will handle the 230v, 50hz power supply in Ireland.

But the question I had a hard time finding out was “Can I plug my iPad directly into the power supply in Ireland?” I couldn’t find this information on the Apple website and the forum information was murky at best.

I looked at my iPad 2 documentation and checked the writing on the box but couldn’t find any reference to the the electrical requirements.

Then I called Apple Care and the representative really didn’t know either. How strange.

And then I recalled seeing some writing on the 10W USB Power Adapter for the iPad. And lo and behold, after dragging out my Loupe to see what was written, it was clear that I can safely plug my iPad into a wall socket in Ireland without fear of burning it to a crisp.

iPad Electrical Requirements – 10W USB Power Adapter

Here’s a photo of the electrical requirements for the iPad off the 10W USB Power Adapter.

Input Voltage iPad

In case you can’t read that, the key point is Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz, which means international use.

iPhone 4 Electrical Requirements – Apple USB Power Adapter

Here’s the input voltage requirements for the iPhone 4.

Input Voltage iPhone 4

Input: 100-240V, 56/60 Hz, good for international use.

The Bottom Line – International Use

These two power adapters have some really small print that tell you they will handle a power supply in the USA, Ireland, the UK, Europe or just about anywhere else. So as long as you use these Apple USB Power Adapters be worry free to use the power supply internationally. Just make sure you have the right adapter so you can plug into the wall socket.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Iain June 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Where did you buy that plug adapter I noitice it has a fuse in it !!
I guess I don’t need a surge proctector
will a plug adapter like that be fine for my laptop in uk
my laptop charger says 100 – 240 v 50 -60 hz input
I will need another plug like that to plug into France also
thanks

Gregory June 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I picked up that plug adapter in the Manchester UK airport because I forgot to bring the one I bought at Radio Shack – or was it Brookstone? I forget. Most airports have them hanging on racks in the terminal (I spotted some in the Dublin airport four weeks ago) and they are surprisingly affordable.

Subhashish Mukherjee July 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Thanks for the clarification . I bought my ipad from US and worried if it will work in US or not in India .But thanks to your review i am not cool that it will work .

jcerv October 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm

ThanksThanksThanksThanks.
Kudos and thanks. You made it simply simple. I’m puzzled why w/all Apple has going for it globally this is not prominently posted.
Regardless. Thanks.
Enjoy it all.

Ash December 25, 2011 at 6:13 am

Thank you so much for your helpful and clear posting. It was extremely helpful as we are leaving for Spain in a few hours :-)

Gregory December 25, 2011 at 9:16 am

Glad to help.

Moose907 December 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Given the lack of reference to frequency on the output of these devises, I am strongly assuming the output is DC (5.1V at 2.1A). The question now is if I plug a “cigarette lighter” style power unit into a 24VDC cigarette lighter, will it fry my iPad? And this too, nobody seems to know.

Gregory December 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

@ Moose907, Well I found out you can buy a car charger designed specifically for a 12V or 24V input, just to be on the safe side. Here’s a site that offers just such a product.

Jim March 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for the information. I find it phenomenal that even today, you cannot get this information from Apple in their users manuals or on their web site. You have done everyone a great service by posting this information.

Gregory March 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for the nice comment.

Poonom Bitto March 16, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for your qualified iphone charge system article. I am so happy to your important helpful service.
Thanks
Poonom
“National Power Supply”

Cheryl March 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much. I was afraid to plug in my iPad here in Ireland until I read this because I already fried another appliance with my adaptor!

Jory March 23, 2012 at 6:15 am

I doubt I could read the tiny print on the iPhone USB adaptor even with my loupes! Thank you so much for doing the research

Gregory March 23, 2012 at 6:44 am

My pleasure.

Larry C May 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Super useful! Thanks so much!

Alr June 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

Thank you for the crucial info. I’ve been pulling my hair trying to figure that but Apple has that in a fine print on the back. Big thanks for taking a close-up picture of the info in a readable form.

Mohamed Hussein August 27, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thank you very much, this valuable info saved about 100$, I bought iPad 2 from US than buying it from Egypt and this saved 100$ ..thanks again …..:)

Gregory August 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Ron August 28, 2012 at 2:00 am

Thanks for this info! I was wondering whether I could buy an ipad in the US and use it in Africa. Cheers!

Sherry Hicks May 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

We just arrived to Italy and your posting was very helpful. Thank you

Gregory May 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Chuk July 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thanks, this is surprisingly hard to find online.

Clive S September 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I live in the UK and am planning a trip to Peru. As an iPad user I have been tearing my hair out trying to find out if I could safely charge my UK purchased iPad whilst in Peru.
It was easy enough to discover that in general mains voltage in Peru is 220V at 60Hz whereas in the UK we have 220/240 50Hz. I was concerned about the possibility of the difference in mains frequency being detrimental to my iPad.
Thank you so much for the clarification you have provided here. I very much appreciate your efforts.
It’s a pity that Apple themselves do not make the facts of the matter more obvious. I would have thought that in these days of increasing international travel, they would have wanted to tell everyone about the universal capabilities of their otherwise excellent products. They should also bear in mind that some of their customers are no longer in the first flush of youth. After you had shown me where to look for the information, I still had great difficulty at the age of 72 in reading ( even with the aid of a powerful magnifier) the very small print on my charger!!

Jim March 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Exactly the information I was looking for and well written article. Thanks for sharing.