Watch XFINITY TV on the iPad

by Gregory on February 3, 2011

Xfinity LogoYou can now watch movies and TV shows from your iPad on the XFINITY TV app with a Wi-Fi connection. The networks offering content are TNT, TBS, BBC America, Encore, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Movie Plex, and Preferred Collection.

The selection is limited, but this is the first offering and we can only hope things get better. You have to be subscribed to the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) to watch their content on this app.

Xfinity TV

Select a movie or TV show and it starts streaming. I watched an episode of Rizzoli & Isles yesterday and it only crashed once. When I restarted the episode the app resumed play from the crash point. I also took an extended break and it started flawlessly after being on pause for over an hour.

If you have XFINITY and the iPad, this app is worth downloading because 1) it’s free, 2) it has a great TV guide with filters for HD, Movies, Sports, and Kids, 3) you can set DVR recordings, 4) you can changed the channel on your TV from this app, 5) you can watch On Demand content, and 6) now you can watch movies and TV episodes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Jesus February 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm

That cool, but the only thing is that you can only use that function on your home network, so you can’t leave your house. Plus, it’s Xfinity content, so you have to wait for them to post new content and episodes. I have and work at DISH Network and with the Sling adapter, I can stream live and recorded TV to my iPad, laptop, and android phone anywhere I have wifi or 3G service. Check it out at dish.com/tveverywhere!

vLatte February 16, 2011 at 8:49 am

Looks like a neat setup.

CTC April 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I downloaded the Xfinity app on my ipad2 and entered my zip code however no channel lineup appeared in the window below for me to select. Can anyone help?

Gregory April 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm

1. Make sure you have an internet connection (3G, Wi-Fi)
2. Try an adjacent zip code
3. Restart the app
4. Try this zip code 98270, if nothing then:
5. Delete the app from your iPad and re-install
6. Make sure you have an internet connection
7 If not working by now send them an email (Settings > Feedback > Contact Us), which will do absolutely no good, but it might make you feel better.

Joe Moser May 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Help,
I bought an Ipad2 downloaded the xfinity app and when i log in i get request error. It states an unknown error has occured and try agian. I have been trying for 3 days and no luck. I removed app and installed from teh app store and removed then downloaded from xfinity and still no progress.
Can anyone help this is driving me nuts

Gregory May 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I would back up and make sure you can login to your Comcast account from a web browser, just to make sure you’re using the right username/email and password. Then make sure you have a network connection.

If you still get the error, I would try to tap the link “Forgot password” and reset it from your iPad.

If you still can’t login, I would send an email to Comcast customer support, which will most likely be an exercise in futility.

Mike October 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Tried to watch a show and it’s in Flash which is unavailable for iPad. How are you watching the shows?

Gregory October 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I haven’t ran into any shows in the XFINITY program that have to be watched with flash. However there’s an iPhone app that will do just that, called iSwifter.

Mike October 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I was trying to watch shows form the website – there you need flash, but if you watch shows directly form the App you don’t need it.

Mike McKinnon January 13, 2012 at 7:23 am

Can you watch regular TV on this app? I want to watch the play-off games on it while I am at home because my wife will be using our TV room for a gathering so I wont be able to use our TV. Can I sit in another room of our house and watch regular scheduled programming on it?

Gregory January 13, 2012 at 7:29 am

There is a limited list of shows they allow you to watch, all time delayed by at least a day. No sports on this app.

There are some free shows from ON DEMAND you can watch, but it’s a limited selection too.

Gabriela March 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

This app is really good if you like to watch tv with your kids and their fighting for the remote you can change it right on your iphone or ipad in my opinion, i think this is a useful app. YOU should get it ;)

Gregory March 3, 2012 at 9:05 am

I like the “favorite” channels feature that helps me see what’s on TV in short amount of time.

aham March 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I watched a movie from the Starz channel on my iPad and I don’t have Starz package on my regular tv. Will I be charged for it?

Gregory March 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’ve never been able to view a pay-per-view movie on the iPad, let alone watch one. Maybe it was a promotional thing. I don’t see how they would charge you if they didn’t get your consent up front.

Shiwa April 7, 2012 at 10:46 am

Do you really need to have a comcast account? Its asking me for my comcast login after i typed in my apple ID.. please help.

Gregory April 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yes you need a Comcast account. In the iTunes store when you buy the XFINITY app, about halfway down the page there are a list of requirements. Here’s what they say:

REQUIREMENTS:

- XFINITY TV or Comcast Digital Video service.

- Comcast ID or Comcast.net email address and password.

I know, major Bummer.

Edu January 22, 2013 at 1:40 am

I want to watch tv in my iPad but I don’t have an account in Comcast someone want to give me yours?